You must pass a Class D (Passenger Vehicle), Class M (Motorcycle) or CDL (Commercial Driver's License) Road Test in order to receive your license.
You must have a Learner's Permit to schedule a Road Test.
Age Requirements and Driver's Education
- If the applicant is between 16½ and 18 years old, they must complete a Driver's Education Program prior to the Road Test
- If the applicant is 18 years and older, they are not required to complete a Driver's Education Program
Class D License:
- a semitrailer unit
- a truck trailer combination
- a tractor or truck having a registered gross weight in excess of 26, 000 lbs.
- a bus
- a school bus
You are allowed to attempt no more than six (6) Road Tests in a 12-month period.
Class M License:
Allows the operator to drive a motorcycle, or any other motor vehicle having a seat for the rider and designed to travel with no more than three wheels in contact with the ground.
There are two ways to get a a Class M License, an RMV Road Test OR training and skills test from the RMV approved, Massachusetts Rider Education Program. Applicants under the age of 18 must attend the RMV approved Massachusetts Rider Education Program, which includes a skills test.
Schedule a Class D or Class M Road Test
Road Tests can be scheduled online or by calling the RMV Telephone Center.
Be Prepared for the Class D or Class M Road Test
On the day you take your Class D Road Test, you must:
- Have your learner's permit
- Bring a qualified sponsor (Note: A sponsor is not required for a Class M Road Test)
- Provide an acceptable, properly equipped, legally registered vehicle to use for your test as outlined in the Class D and Class M Road Test Information Sheet
Schedule a Commercial Driver's License (CDL) Road Test
CDL Road Test Locations By City/Town
Be Prepared for the CDL Road Test
Review the CDL Road Test Information Sheet which includes applicant, sponsor, and vehicle requirements.
On the day you take your CDL Road Test, you must bring:
- Your learner's permit
- A qualified sponsor
- An acceptable, properly equipped, legally registered vehicle to use for your test as outlined in the CDL Road Test Information Sheet
There is a $35.00 road test fee for Class D, Class M and CDL road tests.
Online Payment of Road Test and License Fees
After passing the Road Test and paying the Class D or Class M fees the applicant's permit will be validated and immediately serve as a temporary license. The permanent license will be mailed to the applicant.
A Road Test must be cancelled at least 72 hours before the scheduled test to avoid paying another Road Test fee when rescheduling. You can cancel and reschedule a Road Test online or call the RMV Telephone Center
To check if your Road Test has been canceled, visit the RMV homepage for a special alert posting or call the RMV Telephone Center
Road Test Examiners may cancel Road Tests when weather conditions are considered unsafe at a particular Road Test site.
Road Tests will be automatically cancelled when:
- The Governor declares a state of emergency for the entire state
- The Governor declares a state of emergency in a certain region of the state (only Road Tests in this region will be cancelled)